Department of Soil, Water, and Climate
Affiliated Graduate Programs
- Land and Atmospheric Science
- Water Resources Science
- Civil Engineering
- Microbial Engineering
- B.S. (Biological Chemistry), University of Tokyo, 2001
- M.S. (Soil Microbiology and Biochemistry), Iowa State University, 2003
- Ph.D. (Soil Science [major] and Microbial Ecology [minor]), University of Minnesota-Twin Cities, 2007
- Postdoc (Environmental Microbiology), University of Tokyo, Tokyo, Japan. Sept. 2007 - March 2011
- Associate Professor, Department of Soil, Water, and Climate, University of Minnesota-Twin Cities. July 2019 - Present
- Assistant Professor, Department of Soil, Water, and Climate, University of Minnesota-Twin Cities. April 2015 - June 2019
- Assistant Professor, Division of Environmental Engineering, Hokkaido University, Sapporo, Japan. April 2011 - March 2015
- Postdoctoral Research Associate, Department of Applied Biological Chemistry, University of Tokyo, Tokyo, Japan. Sept. 2007 - March 2011
- Graduate Research Assistant, Department of Soil, Water, and Climate, University of Minnesota-Twin Cities. Aug. 2003 - Aug. 2007
- 3M Nontenured Facuty Award, 2018
- Young Investigator Award, the Japanese Society for Microbial Ecology, 2015.
Up-to-date Publications List available at Google Scholar
- Oshiki M., T. Segawa, and S. Ishii. 2018. Nitrogen cycle evaluation (NiCE) chip for the simultaneous analysis of multiple N-cycle associated genes. Appl. Environ. Microbiol. In press.
- Sandberg, K.D., S. Ishii, and T.M. LaPara. 2018. A microfluidic quantitative polymerase chain reaction method for the simultaneous analysis of dozens of antibiotic resistance and heavy metal resistance genes. Environ. Sci. Technol. Lett. 5, 20–25.
- Zhang, Q., J.J. Eichmiller, C. Staley, M.J. Sadowsky, and S. Ishii. 2016. Correlations between pathogen concentration and fecal indicator marker genes in beach environments. Sci. Total Environ. 573, 826-830.
- Byappanahalli, M.N., M. B. Nevers, R. L. Whitman, and S. Ishii. 2015. Application
- of a microfluidic quantitative polymerase chain reaction technique to monitor bacterial pathogens in beach water and complex environmental matrices. Environ. Sci. Technol. Lett. 2:347–351.
- Ishii, S., Y. Song, L. Rathnayake, H. Satoh, A. Tumendelger, S. Toyoda, N. Yoshida, and S. Okabe. 2014. Identification of key N2O production pathways in aerobic partial nitrifying granules. Environ. Microbiol. 16:3168-3180.
- Ishii, S., T. Nakamura, S. Ozawa, A. Kobayashi, D. Sano, and S. Okabe. 2014. Water quality monitoring and risk assessment by simultaneous multipathogen quantification. Environ. Sci. Technol. 48:4744-4749. (Related Article in Chemical and Engineering News)